If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to my Feedburner Feed. Thanks for visiting!
According to App Annie, well known App market data and insights company, India has become the fastest growing market for Mobile Apps, on Apple iOS as well as the Google Play Store. India also holds the record for the highest number of combined downloads on iOS and Google Play. United States holds the second place in this category while China is at number three.
Video streaming services are driving the numbers with three of the top ten Apps falling in this category. Other popular Apps include three from China and an equal number from the controversial Facebook stable. Let’s check out the top 10 most downloaded Apps by Indian Smartphone users in Quarter 1 of 2018 :
1. Facebook : The most popular social networking site has been in the news recently for all the wrong reasons. In fact, latest reports indicate that Facebook has been tracking non-users as well. However, the site is still popular with Indian users.
2. UC Browser : This popular web browser has been developed by the Chinese Mobile Internet company UCWeb and is owned by the Alibaba group. It offers useful features such as fast download, data saving, ad-block functionality, and helps you access music, video, and cricket information with a smooth experience.
3. WhatsApp : Owned by Facebook this free messaging App is used by more than 1 billion people in over 180 countries. The App allows the sending of text messages and voice calls, as well as video calls, images and other media, documents, and user location.
4. FB Messenger : The standalone instant messaging App allows Smartphone users to chat + make audio and video calls.
5. SHAREit : It is the world’s fastest cross-platform file transfer tool for near-field communication. 200 times Bluetooth speed! No USB! No data usage! No internet needed! Another cool App from China.
6. JioTV : This entry is no surprise considering the popularity of Jio 4G services. JioTV offers a wide range of TV channels across languages and genres. Enjoy 400+ TV channels at your fingertips, including 60+ HD channels!
7. Airtel TV : 350+ Live TV Channels, 9000+ Movies, 100+ TV Shows, Originals and much more. A new entry to the Top 10 list.
8. Hotstar : Another new entry which can be attributed to the lowered 4G data rates in the Indian market. With the IPL season on I am pretty sure it’ll climb up the rankings for this Quarter.
9. Truecaller : Has been developed by the Swedish company True Software Scandinavia AB. It helps find contact details globally given name or telephone number, and has an integrated caller ID service to achieve call-blocking functionality and Social Media integration to keep the phonebook up-to-date with pictures and birthdays.
10. Hypstar : Now known as Vigo Video this is another offering from China which has proven a hit with the Indian Smartphone users. Vigo Video is a short video social network where you can share your daily lives with your friends, family, and hipsters from all over the world. Capture and create your own funny short videos with the Vigo special effects camera and tons of cute stickers.
Dear Readers, in the coming weeks I’ll post more about the popular Apps in the Indian market. In case you’d like to share your favourite Apps please leave a comment in the guest book.